Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Monster in Workopolis (in theaters near you)

So two weeks ago, on Tuesday april 4th, 2006, I lost my job at B2B2C. Why? It took me a few days to come up with a definite answer on that one.

My boss' official reason was that he wasn't satisfied with the fact that I was doing personal work on job time, as well as the fact that I wasn't doing the "side-jobs" that were given to the team. These extras included calling new customers to configure their accounts, and doing followup calls to make sure clients had fixed their problem.

Now, this is true only insofar as it's... well, true. But there's an underlying reason to this, and it wasn't laziness. You see, B2B2C, as with most previous ISP tech support jobs I had, wasn't challenging enough - in truth, it was rather boring in itself. For me, a job or carreer has to be stimulating, challenging, it has to bring me something more than a daily routine of unchanging clients with the same questions.

A small company like B2B2C can't offer what a larger company can. Diversity, and lots of work that I can do so that each day is different. It's not that there's nothing to do, but rather not enough of it to go around for everyone on duty. On days where the most "productive" people were there, mostly everything was done whithin an hour or two. And with everything being the same everyday, I found that everyday I had the feeling that everything was already done, since I had done it the day before, and every other day before them.

I understand that some might find it's just an excuse that I'm building in order to make myself beleive that my job loss is not my own fault but rather of the company that employs me. Beleive me, I'm not deceiving myself. I can see my own errors and deviant ways that lead to the two words that are the bane of every man and woman on this planet: "You're Fired". I intend to find myself a place that will actually give me enough to do every day and with enough diversity for me not to continue in this bad way...

I've received some phone calls, returns from my applications here and there, but have yet to get a solid answer (mostly, I don't get called back). I still hope, and still have a few possibilities floating around. By the way, I also requested employement insurance in the meantime, so I am not in a financial hole when I finally find a job. Most probably I'll get a job before I get my first insurance check, but I'm sure it will still be worth it.

Now, as everything seems to tend towards change these days, me and Tiff have decided that we're going to move in July. We've already got the appartment we're going to move into and the "Bail" is signed, we'll be moving to Brossard, within earshot of my mother-in-law's appartment... No, that's not a bad thing, considering we'll be exchanging food for laundry time (since she has a paying laundromat, and we'll have our own washer/dryer).

The appartment is amazing, it was recently renovated, with the bathroom being redone, as well as the floors everywhere. It's nicely positionned also, around 20 minutes from downtown Montreal at rush hour (with the express busses). Pretty nice considering I have an interview tomorrow for a job that's about 10 minutes from Bonaventure... :)

By the way we need some muscles for our moving, which will probably occur around Juin 20th (we have the appartment starting the 15th, and it gives us time to paint and clean). If you're available, especially with a big truck, that would be really amazing...

1 comment:

  1. And, I just realized that I pretty much posted the same thing twice, albeit with different wording and information... Oh well. There's a first for everything I guess.

    ReplyDelete